There is an abundance of things I love about New England Summers, and fruit picking with my family at a local farm is one of them. We still have a ton of fresh blueberries in our home after our successful pick at Tougas Family Farm. Last week I shared a recipe for Blueberry Lavender Cheesecake Bars that are so delicious and easy to make and a favorite here in my home. This week, I wanted to go in a savory direction so I’m sharing a tasty way to incorporate one of my favorite Summer berries into your dinner! This recipe for Pork Chops with Blueberry Basil Compote is quick, very simple to prep and make and would impress both your family at the dinner table and guests when you’re entertaining!
When I cook for my family, I try to always use fresh ingredients whether I’m cooking on a weeknight or weekend. I like recipes that are simple with just a few ingredients that really complement each other but not overly complicated to prepare. That’s why I love this recipe so much. The combination of the basil and the blueberry really highlight the flavors in one another. I think the basil helps bring out the blueberry flavor even more since its such a mild berry on its own. The compote is sweetened with just a little bit of honey, and there’s just a dash of black pepper giving it a mature finish edging off just a little bit of the sweetness. The pork chop is also cooked to perfection making this dish one that will stay in heavy rotation for our family dinners.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
– Cutting Board and Knife (this set is so cool!)
These Pork Chops with Blueberry Basil Compote are also very quick to prepare which is all too appropriate with our busy schedules lately. I like to serve this with Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts (I plan on posting this recipe shortly) or roasted broccoli.
I hope you enjoy this simple, fresh dinner recipe and share it with your friends and family! I will be rounding out our blueberry series with a fun cocktail and sharing it within the next week or two. Thanks for following along in all our blueberry fun!
- Two 1¼ " bone-in pork chops
- Olive oil
- 1 cup blueberries, washed
- 1 TBSP fresh minced basil
- 1 TBSP honey
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Rub olive oil onto both sides of pork chops then season both sides generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat cast iron skillet (or other oven safe skillet) on medium-high heat.
- Add pork chops to skillet and sear for 4 minutes on each side.
- After searing, place skillet in oven and allow to finish cooking for 8-10 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F.
- While pork chop is cooking, prepare the compote by combining blueberries, basil, honey and ⅛ tsp black pepper in small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally helping to mush up the blueberries with a wooden spoon and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve pork shop with compote spooned on top. Delicious!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.